A curated list of things to do this weekend / next week.
1. Spooky Theatrical Productions
Bram Stoker’s Dracula | Topeka Civic Theatre
This adaptation of the Bram Stoker classic preserves the psychological terror and complex characterization of the original Victorian Gothic novel. Be sure to add dinner or brunch to your ticket for the full dinner theatre experience.
Helen Hocker’s Project Terror: Victorian Gothic
It’s 1890 and a haunted, Victorian homestead dominates the grounds of what will be Gage Park. A séance goes afoul, unleashing unspeakable horrors and driving the home’s occupants mad. Walk through the door, draw the curtain, and experience the dark terror…if you dare. Not recommended for anyone under the age of 14 years. $15 admission at the door.
2. Brew-Ha-Ha | Vaerus Aviation, Inc. – benefit for KidSake | Friday 6:30p
Sample breweries from across the state with over 70 styles of craft beer and over 12 local restaurants. Tickets are $50
3. Silents in the Cathedral | Grace Episcopal Cathedral | presented by Kansas Silent Film Festival Inc. | Friday 7p
Watch the 1927 mystery classic silent film “The Cat and the Canary.” This “old dark house” mystery focuses on a group of greedy relatives who gather for the reading of a will. Film historian Denise Morrison will provide a historical perspective of the film. Musicians Marvin Faulwell and Bob Keckeisen will bring the film to life with a rousing musical score. The following shorts will be shown before the main feature: “The Red Spectre,” “The Ouija Board” and “The Uneasy Three.”
Silents in the Cathedral is a collaboration of the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, Grace Episcopal Cathedral and the Kansas Silent Film Festival Inc. Program funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
4. Kris Lager Band with Groovement | Jayhawk Historical Theatre | presented by Suki.Inc | Friday 8p
One of our favorite bands, the feel-good music and vibe of Kris Lager and Groovement.
5. Groove Pilots | Gayle’s | Friday at 9p AND The Rob Wade Band | Gayle’s | Saturday at 9p
6. Slash + Bash: 15th Anniversary of Keith the Critic’s Slash + Bash Film Festival | The Break Room | Saturday – All Day + Sunday
Come see some classic films, Short films, and the new “Friday the 13th” and help celebrate the 15th Anniversary of Keith the Critic’s Slash and Bash Film Festival.
7. Platinum Express – A Halloween Dance Party Extravaganza | The Vinewood | Saturday 8p
If you enjoy the sounds of the ’60s and ’70s then you’ll love Platinum Express. Get tickets in advance here.
8. Top City Music BooFest | WestRidge Mall at VERGE | presented by Top City Music | Saturday 1:30 – 3p
Three amazingly talented student bands will take the stage by storm. It’s frightening how amazing these artists are at shredding string, pounding out a baseline, and generally rocking their faces off.
9. Final Girl and the Monster | The Trap | Sunday 9p
An all-female, death metal, hard-hitting rock band with full theatrics. A must-see. All ages show.
10. Spooky Symphony Concert | FREE | TPAC | Tuesday 5:30 – 6:30p
Topeka Symphony Orchestra’s annual free Halloween concert for families, “Spooky Kids Concert” features a costume parade plus treats for the kids. Doors open at 5p and the one-hour concert begins at 5:30p featuring some of your favorite Halloween music and movie tunes.