seveneightfive magazine is teaming with Rundown Studios to produce a CD and live concert performance in tribute to the iconic Topeka band, Kansas. This project has received the blessing of Kansas founder and frontman Kerry Livgren. Opportunity to participate in the CD and the performance is open to all bands and musicians of all genres throughout the state of Kansas. Please read on for more information about the project and for submission criteria.
Media are invited to contact Paul Schneider, owner of Rundown Studios or Robin Cremer, music writer for seveneightfive magazine via email at CarryOnKS@gmail.com to schedule an interview or for more information regarding the project. Please enter ‘Media Inquiry’ in the subject line.
Despite being a successful million selling rock band, Topeka’s own Kansas has never had a tribute album released in their honor. Kansas artists should be the first. And it should be the best.
Carry on Wayward Songs: Kansas Artists Perform Kansas will be a multi-band/genre CD tribute comprised of Kansas’ musicians paying homage to the progressive rock band Kansas, their expansive body of work and rich musical legacy. The result will include, at minimum, a CD and a live concert promoting the CD in April 2013.
Nuts and Bolts:
Submissions will be open from midnight May 13 through midnight, June 1, 2013 and is open to all Kansas area bands. A selection committee will narrow down the bands and work cohesively to create an audio showcase of the state’s best talent. Artists who contribute to the project will have detailed contact information printed on the accompanying CD booklet. As this promises to be a nationwide, if not international release, the exposure for artists involved will be phenomenal.
All recording and production will be done at Rundown Studios in Topeka, Kansas, by renowned producer Paul Schneider. All bands will relinquish monetary rights to their contribution, and be available to record their song, on short notice. They should also be available for a live performance and/or promotional marketing events.
We are looking for Kansas area bands and solo artists who have an interest in Kansas (the band) and take pride in being a Kansas (the state) musician. Bands to be considered will have some of the following qualities:
- Strong reach via fans, CD sales, social media, etc.
- Available to travel, at their own cost, to Topeka to record.
- Be team players.
- Believe in establishing Kansas as a mecca for musical creativity by supporting local emerging artists.
- Bring their own style to a Kansas song as a result of their compositional and arrangement skills.
- Be open to accepting an alternate song should the one you chose be unavailable.
Submissions are due by midnight on June 1, 2013 and must be emailed to
CarryOnKS@gmail.com. Only electronic submissions will be accepted and should include:
- An example of one of your own songs that showcases your band/music at your best. Preferred format: mp3
- A short paragraph or two about why the band/musician chose this particular song and what qualities the band/musician has that makes them/you unique.
- A paragraph about the Kansas song the band/musician would like to cover and ideas they might have on making it uniquely their own.
- A brief biography of the band/musician.
- All entries must be self-submitted by the band/musician or agents, with band/musicians implicit agreement to the terms. Fan submissions will not be accepted.